Saturday, March 10, 2012

Beefy Potatoes Au Gratin, My Favorite!

This was one of the very first recipes I posted on Super College Chef oh-so many years ago and it is time for an overhaul. Beefy Potatoes Au Gratin is the easy, cheesy dish that's perfect for a meat-and-potatoes kind of gal like me. I love this meal so much, I honestly make it a couple times a month. The best part about this dish is that it takes minutes to prepare!


You will need:
  • 1 lb. ground sirloin
  • 1 box of Potatoes Au Gratin
  • 1 cup shredded Taco Mix cheese
  • milk
  • butter
  • water
Preheat the oven to 400.

While you brown the ground sirloin in a skillet, take a look at the direction on your box of Potatoes Au Gratin. Every brand differs, but most boxed Potatoes Au Gratin require varying amounts of water, butter, and milk. Follow the stove top directions almost until you find your potatoes simmering in a cheesy sauce.

Drain the grease from the ground sirloin, then pour it into an 8x8 in. casserole dish. Use 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to cover the meat. Carefully pour the cheesy potato concoction over the cheese and meat. Spread the potatoes evenly over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the potatoes.

Cover the dish with aluminum foil and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, remove the aluminum covering and place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Finally, it's done! Almost, not yet, eager beaver. Let it set for 10 minutes to let the cheesy sauce solidify and so you don't burn your little tongue.


The great thing about thing recipe is that it's so versatile! You can substitute ground turkey, Scalloped Potatoes, Mozzarella cheese for an entirely new flavor. Don't get me started on toppings; salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, chutney, really anything goes with meat and potatoes!

I truly hope you love this dish as much as I do. Keep eating, my friends!

Love,

Liz

P.S. Photos provided by our own lovely and talented Allison McWilliams!


1 comment:

Harter House Meat Market said...

Cheesy and beefy baked potatoes sounds so delightful! I am actually that kind of meat and potatoes gal so this is just perfect! I like that it’s so easy to make too. I shall try this one out very soon. I can’t wait to make my own!

Liz Peters